[Dwarf-Discuss] DW_TAG_formal_parameter question

Stoyan Shopov stoyan.shopov@gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 05:56:28 GMT 2009

Ok, here is a somewhat minimalistic code sample exhibiting the problem:

---------------------- C code --------------------------------------
int func1(void);
int func2(void) { return 0; }

int (*func_ptr)(void) = func2;

int main(void)
{
        return func1();
}

int fib(int n)
{
int res;
        if (n < 2)
                res = n;
        else
                res = fib(n - 1) + fib(n - 2);
        return res;
}

static int inline inline_test(int x)
{
        return x++;
}

int func1(void)
{
        return func_ptr() + inline_test((int)func1);
}
---------------------- C code end --------------------------------------

---------------------- Makefile --------------------------------------
CC = gcc-4.3.2
CFLAGS = -nostdlib -g -O2 -finline-functions

test.elf: test_0.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ test_0.c
---------------------- Makefile end --------------------------------------

This is the strange dwarfdump excerpt:
<1><   96>      DW_TAG_subprogram
                DW_AT_sibling               <122>
                DW_AT_external              yes(1)
                DW_AT_name                  func1
                DW_AT_decl_file             1
/home/shopov/src/dwdemo/test_0.c
                DW_AT_decl_line             28
                DW_AT_prototyped            yes(1)
                DW_AT_type                  <64>
                DW_AT_inline                DW_INL_inlined
<2><  114>      DW_TAG_lexical_block
<3><  115>      DW_TAG_formal_parameter
                DW_AT_abstract_origin       <54>
I think it is strange for a formal parameter to be a descendant of a lexical
block die. Also, the func1() subprogram seems to be, what is termed in the
dwarf standard, "an abstract instance root" - it should not have any
descendant nodes which have a DW_AT_abstract_origin attribute, as this
attribute should be present only in concrete instance trees, right? Then
again, it is quite possible that there are misunderstandings on my side, and
any clarifications are welcome.

This also seems strange:
<1><  180>      DW_TAG_subprogram
                DW_AT_sibling               <228>
                DW_AT_external              yes(1)
                DW_AT_name                  fib
                DW_AT_decl_file             1
/home/shopov/src/dwdemo/test_0.c
                DW_AT_decl_line             13
                DW_AT_prototyped            yes(1)
                DW_AT_type                  <64>
                DW_AT_inline                DW_INL_inlined
<2><  198>      DW_TAG_formal_parameter
                DW_AT_name                  n
                DW_AT_decl_file             1
/home/shopov/src/dwdemo/test_0.c
                DW_AT_decl_line             12
                DW_AT_type                  <64>
<2><  207>      DW_TAG_variable
                DW_AT_name                  res
                DW_AT_decl_file             1
/home/shopov/src/dwdemo/test_0.c
                DW_AT_decl_line             14
                DW_AT_type                  <64>
<2><  218>      DW_TAG_lexical_block
<3><  219>      DW_TAG_lexical_block
<4><  220>      DW_TAG_variable
                DW_AT_abstract_origin       <207>

There are (maybe redundant but not incorrect?) empty lexical blocks, and
also the entry DW_AT_abstract_origin pointing upwards to a node in the same
abstract instance tree (if I understand things correctly).

Earlier I wrote that the problem does not occur with gcc-4.1.2, but this is
not the case - I just tested it again, and the problem occurs there too.

I know this is not a gcc specific list, but I hope there are people
following this list that are also concerned with gcc development and will
instruct me where to redirect these messages, if there is at all anything
wrong and it is not just a misunderstanding of mine.

Thanks,
Stoyan Shopov