[Dwarf-Discuss] Ambiguity in DWARF4 of debug_info_offset in .debug_aranges

Ron Brender ron.brender@charter.net
Sun Aug 15 17:45:35 GMT 2010

Keith,

Re section 6.1.2, Lookup by Address, I believe you are correct that it
is ambiguous whether the debug_info_offset refers to the .debug_info or
.debug_types section.

I suspect this is an error that was introduced when the type signature
concept was introduced into DWARF and most mentions of .debug_info
needed to be augmented to mention .debug_types as well. In this case,
.debug_types should not be mentioned.

In practice, the .debug_types section by its nature will usually not
contain any entries for an entity that has an associated address in
memory--static data members might be the exception. Even in this case,
the data member definition should not be in the shared type description.

Re Section 2.5.1.5, Control Flow Operations, I think this is am
ambiguity whose origin is the same to the above. Most implementations
link the DWARF sections such that they are not loaded in memory and all
have a base address of zero; as a result, relocation information will
help to determine whether the offset is within .debug_info or debug_types.

These problems should be reported as Issues for resolution in DWARF 5.

Ron