[Dwarf-Discuss] dwarfdump behaviour on unknown augmentation

Saurabh saurabhcv@yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 16:05:01 GMT 2010

Hi David,
Shouldn't dwarfdump continue parsing and not error?out?when it encounters an
unknownh augmentation string?

dwarfdump ERROR:? dwarf_get_fde_list:? DW_DLE_FRAME_AUGMENTATION_UNKNOWN(195)
(195)

>From the dwarf spec 2.0
If a reader encounters an augmentation string that is unexpected, then only the
followinglength, CIE_id, version, augmentation; FDE: length,CIE_pointer
augmentation, this value is a zero byte.
?, initial_location, address_range. If there is no

________________________________
From: David Anderson <davea42@earthlink.net>
To: Saurabh <saurabhcv at yahoo.com>
Cc: dwarf-discuss at lists.dwarfstd.org
Sent: Sun, August 8, 2010 9:43:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Dwarf-Discuss] unwinding stack (CIE/FDE)

On 08/08/2010 03:00 AM, Saurabh wrote:
> Sorry guys,
> I think the discussion got diverted and I am still unclear on how to find the
>return address. The example in the Dwarf Appendix is confusing and varying
>compiler implementations have corroded my understanding further.

The DWARF CHECK messages (you post) about duplicate fde low-pc are a bug in
dwarfdump.
This is embarrassing.? ? Those messages do not affect the rest of the dwarfdump
output, but
most (all?) of the duplicate fde messages are wrong.
Released dwarfdump is conflating eh_frame and debug_frame FDEs (just for
the purpose of checking for duplicates).

Sorry about that. I will prepare a new release of dwarfdump, hopefully today.

This note does not address your question, sorry.

David Anderson

fields can be read: CIE: