[Dwarf-Discuss] Query re DWARF, Ada (GNAT), and "in", "out, "in out" parameters

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Wed May 19 17:46:51 GMT 2010

Wallace, John wrote:
> This note attempts to ask a question which relates to DWARF and Ada/gcc
> (specifically, GNAT Ada), as they are today (DWARF V3, and here we're
> looking at GCC V4.4 or so) and perhaps at DWARF and Ada/gcc as they may
> be before too long - e.g. I note that DWARF V4 is out for review. Please
> accept my apologies if this isn't the right place to start with this
> question, but it looked promising (to someone new to DWARF and modern
> compilers in general).
>
> I have inherited a requirement for a tool [1] which takes an Ada program
> executable in ELF format and generates from it a command script whose
> contents are based on some of the attributes of the program's variables
> - for example, the address and datatype of static or global variables,
> or the parameter list of a function or subprogram. Another important
> aspect in the tool's output file is whether a parameter is (in Ada
> terms) "in", "out", or "in out".

There's no notation in DWARF v4 which describes whether a parameter is
"in", "out", or "in out".   Please feel free to submit a comment on the
DWARF website (http://dwarfstd.org/Comment.php) requesting that this be added.