[Dwarf-Discuss] security implications of DWARF info

James Oakley James.M.H.Oakley@Dartmouth.edu
Wed Nov 24 01:43:44 GMT 2010

 >     I know that it gives symbol names&c, but is there other info that
 >     would pose a security risk?  I'm guessing so.  Will read full spec
 >     in good time, I suppose.

How would it pose a security risk? Or do you mean would it aid reverse
engineers, thereby posing a risk to your intellectual property?

 >     How can you do this?  I'm mostly interested in munging human-readable
 >     names into meaningless ones (e.g. function2501) in .dSYM files.
 >     Can't find any tools for doing this easily.

I don't think this is the correct list for this question, but why don't you
just hash all of your symbol names and replace the names in the strtab (or
equivalent, I'm not familiar with dSYM or with development on Darwin/OS X in
general) with their hashes.