[Dwarf-Discuss] target address dependency of the FDE header in DWARF CFI

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil@redhat.com
Sat Dec 10 12:26:41 GMT 2011

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:09:32 +0100, Eli Bendersky wrote:
> But in DWARFv3 there's no such field, so where would I expect to find this
> information in a file written with DWARFv3 info?

GDB follows the architecture of that FDE, which is taken from the architecture
of the file (decode_frame_entry_1).

gdb/gdbarch.sh:
# dwarf2_addr_size is not used for .eh_frame FDEs, which are generally
# defined using the target's pointer size so far.
#
# Note that dwarf2_addr_size only needs to be redefined by a target if the
# GCC back-end defines a DWARF2_ADDR_SIZE other than the target pointer size,
# and if Dwarf versions < 4 need to be supported.

And it really defaults to: gdbarch_ptr_bit (gdbarch) / TARGET_CHAR_BIT

Only gdb/xstormy16-tdep.c uses set_gdbarch_dwarf2_addr_size to change it.

>From the DWARF point of view it is fixed in v4.

Regards,
Jan