[Dwarf-Discuss] Vendor extensions in .debug_macinfo

David Anderson davea42@earthlink.net
Thu Jul 14 15:48:31 GMT 2011

On 07/13/2011 11:20 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> The current .debug_macinfo format isn't very much extensible
> and is not really designed to allow reducing of duplicate debug
> info, so when compilers want to produce maco information, size
> of .debug_macinfo is prohibitive.
The existing macinfo format is the result of committee exhaustion
in 1992 (we had been having ~monthly meetings around the
country for many months and wanted to get done with Version 1 and
macro information was the last and  least-critical stumbling-block).
Back in the day when companies would readily send people to
far-off meetings!

There were two competing proposals, both allowing some space savings,
and neither I nor the other proposer explained our respective concepts
very well.
So the committee adopted something simple that would work.   Yes, it takes
far too much space.

M. Eager's comments are right on, but in addition, I think it is clear we
would expect some real numbers (not guessed numbers)
showing the space advantage for real applications of any
proposed revision.  I guess this is obvious :-)

DavidA.

--
 From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and "Jeopardy" comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30. -- Roy Ashley