[Dwarf-Discuss] Vendor extensions in .debug_macinfo

Cary Coutant ccoutant@gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 00:48:30 GMT 2011

> I think there is value in assuring that a section, on its own, is complete
> and consistent
> with DWARF rules.
>
> Implementors do (now and always) have to make sure the 'garbage bytes' are
> not
> referenced from elsewhere, but that is a fairly weak guarantee.

On the other hand, I have reasons for wanting garbage bytes to sneak
in. I'm working on incremental linking support in the gold linker, and
it's very useful to be able to leave holes when doing an incremental
link: both for patch space for future use; and where an
incrementally-linked object contributes a slightly larger section than
it did originally, forcing the linker to go find space elsewhere and
try to reuse the now-unused space for something else that might be a
bit smaller. If everything else derives from .debug_info, then all I
have to worry about is .debug_info, and I can leave holes in the other
sections without concern for consumers trying to read those sections
independently.

-cary