[Dwarf-Discuss] Any real products that do...

Jason Molenda jmolenda@apple.com
Mon Oct 24 01:32:38 GMT 2011

On Oct 23, 2011, at 5:35 PM, Chris Quenelle wrote:

> Well he said "in the debuginfo" but I assume he means "in dwarf".
> So that would include the linetable as well.  The significant bloat
> for column information is in the line table and it's a very large
> percentage increase for accurate information.  Especially for
> optimized code.

Although a typical C++ program these days will have a debug_info around 100x larger than a debug_line (based on a single C++ framework I just checked at random, without type uniquing, compiled by llvm-gcc).  I'm sure this 100x number will vary a lot depending on what compiler you pick, whether you unique all the type definitions, which compiler it is, etc., but I don't think the line table is a significant source of bloat in the dwarf these days.  If it the size of debug_line doubled to incorporate good column information, I think there are many people who would accept that tradeoff.