[Dwarf-Discuss] constants updates, minor DWARF standard upgrade?

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Fri Jul 20 13:52:20 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Mark Wielaard <mjw at redhat.com> wrote:

> I noticed GCC already outputs the proposed DW_LANG_Go from
> http://dwarfstd.org/ShowIssue.php?issue=101014.1
> I assume there are other such smaller/constants changes that are just OK
> without needing a major DWARF spec revision. Is there a list of such
> preliminary accepted issues/updates/constants?

The DW_LANG_Go constant was discussed on dwarf-discuss in October
2010.  I filed an issue at
http://dwarfstd.org/ShowIssue.php?issue=101014.1&type=open .  In the
October 2010 I asked whether it would be OK to use the provisionally
assigned value, and Michael Eager said "Should be OK."

GCC will use the provisionally assigned value for DW_LANG_Go only when
directed to emit DWARF version 5 or when using -gno-strict-dwarf
(which is the default).  That is, when using -gstrict-dwarf with a
version of DWARF less than 5, GCC will not emit DW_LANG_Go.

It's clear that this is at GCC's own risk.

Ian