[Dwarf-Discuss] meaning's dwarf expression for DW_AT_frame_base in loclist

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Thu Sep 13 12:09:52 GMT 2012

On 09/13/2012 02:37 AM, Marion Guthmuller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What does this expression mean ? DW_OP_breg7+8
>
> This expression is associated to DW_AT_frame base in a loclist. DW_OP_breg7 is the contents of r7
> but I don't understand the "+8". I thought that this expression mean to add 8 to the value in
> register 7 but in this case, the expression should be DW_OP_breg7 8 (without "+") according to
> examples of location description in user guide.

Where do you see DW_OP_breg7+8?

What user guide are you referring to?  The DWARF Standard?

DWARF expressions are sequences of binary values.  Different
programs may print them with different formats.  My guess
is that the dump program you are using is trying to indicate
that the expression is (r7+8).

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com