[Dwarf-Discuss] Adding a language ID for Haskell

Johan Tibell johan.tibell@gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 18:45:13 GMT 2014

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Michael Eager <eager at eagerm.com> wrote:

> On 02/28/14 07:34, Johan Tibell wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We recently added DWARF generation support to GHC, the main Haskell
>> compiler. We'd like to emit a
>> Haskell language ID in the DWARF output* and my understanding is that
>> these IDs are standardized.
>> What do I need to do to get one added to the standard? Should we add one
>> for Haskell the language or
>> one for each revision of the language (98 and 2010)?
>>
>> * It's my understanding that GDB ignores the names we emit and falls back
>> to using symbol names
>> because we lack a recognized language ID.
>>
>>  Please submit your comments about the DWARF standard using our
> Public Comment web page:  http://dwarfstd.org/Comment.php.

Done.

Are there features in Haskell which cannot be represented in
> the existing DWARF standard?  If so, you might consider submitting
> a proposal for extensions to add this support.

There are and we're currently putting them in an experimental .debug_ghc
section, only for interpretation by the GHC run-time system, but I think
it's too early to try to standardise anything here yet. We'll come back
when we have something solid and tested.

> If there are differences in interpretation between different
> versions of Haskell, then you would need different language
> codes for each version.

No, there isn't.

Cheers,
Johan