[Dwarf-Discuss] Best practices for implementing new features?

Michael Eager eager@eagerm.com
Thu Mar 12 01:04:11 GMT 2015

On 03/10/15 09:25, Adrian Prantl wrote:
> My first intuition would be to still use DW_TAG_imported_module according to the DWARF standard
> (DWARF is supposed to describe concepts, not specific language features); but there is a risk of
> confusing existing debuggers that expect exactly an imported C++ namespace inside a
> DW_TAG_imported_module.
>
> The safe solution would be to emit a vendor-specific DW_TAG_LLVM_imported_module for now and then
> later (e.g., when modules are an official part of C++1z?) bring this up before the committee.
>
> Whats the recommended best practice?

DWARF's design is to have one way to describe a particular concept and to
avoid multiple ways for the same or similar concept depending on compiler,
language, OS, or whatever.  Assuming that LLVM modules for C/C++ are similar
to modules in other languages, it would be best to describe them similarly.

So your first intuition is correct.

If LLVM is using something other than what is expected for DW_TAG_imported_module,
perhaps that should be revisited.  Or the definition of what is expected
can be extended.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com