[Dwarf-Discuss] Read an .axf file on windows with LibDwarf

Eric Christopher echristo@gmail.com
Tue May 17 08:39:04 GMT 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016, 1:30 AM Ane <ane.echeverria at ikusi.com> wrote:

> Eric Christopher <echristo at ...> writes:
>

> > FWIW you can use cmake to compile LLVM for windows with a VS project
> output. It has a support library for reading dwarf sections, but you may
> need to do a little bit of work to make sure it can understand the
> object file reading it if it isn't just a plain ELF file.
> > Feel free to follow up with me or the llvm-dev list if you have any
> problems.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -eric
> >

> > On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM Ane <ane.echeverria-
> 2U8bCB4TNbUAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > DavidA <davea42 <at> ...> writes:

> > library
> > reason to
> C#
> > use VS15
> file,
> > so if
> > it.
> > >
> > > There is no simple way.  At least one organization has done so, but
> > > their code is not part of the distribution.
> > >
> > > I do not know the details of what that organization did.
> > > I have no idea what a .axf file is.
> > >
> > > struct Dwarf_Obj_Access_Methods_s (libdwarf.h)
> > > is probably involved.
> > >
> > > Sorry, I have no further information.
> > > David Anderson
> > >
> > > --
> > > From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie,
> > > surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and
> > > "Jeopardy" comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30. -- Roy Ashley
> > >
> > An .AXF file is an ARM eXecutable File which has an ELF/DWARF
> structure.
> > I've tried a few libraries (libdwarf, libelf, examples in VC for both
> of
> > them, libelfin in c++) and none of them can I compile correctly in
> > windows (it doesn't matter if there was in VS15 / VS10 / as a makefile
> > project with MinGW or normal project / just MinGW in command window
> > ).
> > I've just finded another library in C# "ElfSharp" and it seems to be
> > good for reading my .axf file, but I'm looking for decode the DWARF
> > sections. If anyone could help me, I'm all ears.
> > Thanks for the info anyway.
> > Ane.

> I think I haven't explained myself very well. I want to do everything in
> Windows 7, and as far as I understood about LLVM, is for Unix Systems. I

You have misunderstood. LLVM supports both running on and targeting windows
systems.

don't need the compiler to go faster, I need just compiling the source
> code, or at least, find some code which has no dependency of Unix
> libraries. Maybe I didn't understand your idea of doing it, so if it is
> so, please could you explain it to me again? Did you mean this about
> LLVM http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStartedVS.html ?

That page isn't the best, that's why I suggested mailing llvm-dev with any
problems. That said, i think it should work to build for your needs.

-eric