[Dwarf-Discuss] Does any compiler implement Split DWARF as described in the current DWARF5 draft standard?

John DelSignore John.DelSignore@roguewave.com
Fri Feb 3 23:01:57 GMT 2017

On 02/03/17 17:35, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 02:29:49PM -0800, David Anderson wrote:
>> On 02/03/2017 12:21 PM, John DelSignore wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been poking around looking for Split DWARF producers. As far as I
>>> can tell, no compiler or tool chain currently implements Split DWARF as
>>> described in the current DWARF5 draft standard. Is that correct?
>>>

>> gcc did it for DWARF4.  I have a couple test objects
>> that were contributed for libdwarf testing.
>> It would be...impossible? to have done DWARF5
>> yet since we made major changes in the last few weeks (CU header
>> lengths and contents (contents a bit further in the past),
>> for example).
> With -gdwarf-5 in GCC we've implemented most of the DWARF5 changes (ok,
> still e.g. need to change DW_TAG_member to DW_TAG_variable for
> static data members),

OK, thanks, that's good to hear. Any idea when -gdwarf-5 support in GCC will appear in the mainstream? If I wanted a copy of GCC that implements the latest DWARF5 Split DWARF support, where should I look?

Thanks, John D.