[Dwarf-Discuss] Does any compiler implement Split DWARF as described in the current DWARF5 draft standard?

Jakub Jelinek jakub@redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 22:35:18 GMT 2017

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 02:29:49PM -0800, David Anderson wrote:
> On 02/03/2017 12:21 PM, John DelSignore wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been poking around looking for Split DWARF producers. As far as I
> > can tell, no compiler or tool chain currently implements Split DWARF as
> > described in the current DWARF5 draft standard. Is that correct?
> >

> gcc did it for DWARF4.  I have a couple test objects
> that were contributed for libdwarf testing.
> It would be...impossible? to have done DWARF5
> yet since we made major changes in the last few weeks (CU header
> lengths and contents (contents a bit further in the past),
> for example).

With -gdwarf-5 in GCC we've implemented most of the DWARF5 changes (ok,
still e.g. need to change DW_TAG_member to DW_TAG_variable for
static data members), but the major exception is the -gsplit-dwarf
stuff, only very small amount of changes have been done in that
direction.  I must say I'm not familiar enough even with what
tools have been used for -gsplit-dwarf, the compiler generates
both sets of sections but then something needs to split off the
*.dwo files, so the only changes that were done for -gsplit-dwarf
were just eyeballed by looking at the assembly.

	Jakub