[Dwarf-Discuss] Asm syntax for DWARF 5 line table info

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 10:17:47 GMT 2018

Hi Paul,

> I have been working on adding DWARF 5 support to LLVM, and some of
> that support requires some assembler syntax tweaks.  It has been
> suggested that I publicize those tweaks outside of the LLVM world,
> and this list seems like the most likely place to find the people
> who would be most interested in agreeing on a common syntax.

I think that it would also be wise to include the binutils project
(binutils at sourceware.org) as they are responsible for the GNU
Assembler (gas).

> I propose to add a new optional clause to the .file directive, like so:
>
>     .file filenumber [ "directory" ] "path" [ md5 checksum ]
>
> where md5 is a keyword and checksum is the integer checksum,
> typically expressed as a hex 128-bit value.
>
> If all .file directives provide an md5 checksum, then the assembler
> will put that checksum into the DWARF 5 file table.

If there are discrepancies in the md5 checksums, what should the assembler do ?

Cheers
  Nick