[Dwarf-Discuss] Use of Location Description operations in DWARF Expressions?

Adrian Prantl aprantl@apple.com
Fri Mar 20 17:29:09 GMT 2020

> On Mar 19, 2020, at 5:49 PM, Michael Eager via Dwarf-Discuss <dwarf-discuss at lists.dwarfstd.org> wrote:
>
> My reading of sections 2.5 & 2.6 is that you cannot have a DW_OP_piece in an DWARF expression.

I wonder if this is an intentional part of the design because of ambiguity/correctness issues or is this just something that happens to fall out of the way the text is worded? I can see how such a restriction might simplify DWARF consumers, but it also seems like an arbitrary restriction for which there may not be a technical reason.

That distinction is important, because if there is a *technical* reason for not supporting them we should refrain from implementing this in LLVM. But if there isn't, there is no harm done in implementing it as an extension, and DWARF consumers that don't support it can just ignore these expressions and return N/A.

-- adrian