[Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF5 line table file numbering inconsistent

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Thu Oct 15 16:04:40 GMT 2020

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 11:46:55AM -0400, Eric Christopher via Dwarf-Discuss wrote:
> "This margin is too narrow to contain..." ;)
>
> I'd like to see the doc - it's easy to believe we've gotten something wrong
> here.. Might be good to fix this as textual edits rather than waiting on a
> full dwarf standard release because we're going to run into this a lot if
> we can't get it sorted quickly as multiple producers all produce something
> slightly different and incompatible.
>
> Thoughts?

Yes. Please do publish the document somewhere. It would be interesting
to know exactly what is being said to be inconsistent. As far as I
know the issue of the file index defaulting to one and not having a
way to refer to index zero from an DIE attribute is
inconvenient/inefficient (because you often end up duplicating the
zero file entry), but not inconsistent. It is consistent with how
DWARF4 line table file numbers are interpreted and I believe that is
also how consumers do it.

Thanks,

Mark