[Dwarf-Discuss] [EXTERNAL] - RE: Multiple floating point types with the same size but different encodings

Ron Brender ron.brender@gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:23:01 GMT 2022

For the sake of history, I don't recall much of the technical issues, but I
do recall working with Paul way back when (we were both with HP at the
time) to come up with a single common HP-wide list of base types and codes
for all the floating-point types in use across HP.

I support Paul's suggestion that the best strategy is to simply enumerate
as DW_ATE codes all the "interesting" representations in use. This
enumeration can easily be extended if more are needed. A formal
parameterized model for floating point would force consumers to do a lot of
detective work to conclude that, for example, "Oh yeah, this is just the
IEEE 32-bit type". Alternatively, a dispatch on a DW_ATE code makes it easy
to support those, and only those, that are of interest for each
implementation

One issue that bears discussion is whether the existing types should be
considered "generic" (any floating point with a given size) and supplement
those with new codes that are very specific to actual implementations?

Ron