[Dwarf-Discuss] [EXTERNAL] - RE: Multiple floating point types with the same size but different encodings

Todd Allen todd.allen@concurrent-rt.com
Tue Jan 25 14:58:45 GMT 2022

> For ATE codes, the problem is with standardization if we wanted
> to standardize it in some way for DWARF6.
> The current DW_ATE_{,complex_}float is way too unspecific and historically
> can be about various formats.
> So, we'd need something like DW_ATE_{,complex_}ieee754_float
> (or ieee754_binary_float?)
> which would depending on DW_AT_byte_size be binary{16,32,64,128,256}
> format, and then add DW_ATE_* values for the floating point formats
> known to us, which would be
> vax_f_float, vax_g_float, vax_d_float (what about vax_h_float?)
> bfloat16
> Intel extended precision
> IBM extended (double double)
> what else?
> Anyway, it might be possible as can be seen in the DW_ATE_HP_*
> extensions to reuse the same DW_ATE_* code for multiple different
> formats as long as they are guaranteed to have different DW_AT_byte_size.
>
> For DW_AT_precision/DW_AT_min_exponent/DW_AT_max_exponent we would
> just define them the same way as C/C++ does define corresponding
> macros, e.g. https://en.cppreference.com/w/c/types/limits
> (though of course, we can only reasonably use properties that are
> expressible as small integral values or booleans, can't have
> attributes matching to say FLT_MAX etc., which need some floating point
> values).  All could be optional and the producers would need to use them
> only if without those attributes it would be ambiguous what it is.

I suspect you'd end up needing more attributes to completely pin down a
floating-point type.  Consider the i86/i87 FPU 80-bit floating-point type.  It
had a single bit which was the integer part, in additional to the traditional
fractional bits of the mantissa.  So determining the number of bits in the
exponent is not simply (bit_size - mantissa_bits - sign_bit).  Also, you'd need
to indicate lack of support for inf/nan, unless you were expecting that to be
deduced from the min_exponent/max_exponent.

The encodings do seem like a cleaner approach, as Ron argued: You either
recognize the enumerated value, probably because your hardware supports it
natively, and you don't care all that much about all the persnickety bits; or
you reject the type.  I suppose you might choose to support a non-native
floating-point type, but I suspect you'd need to have a priori knowledge of all
the details anyway.

If we do end up promoting any of these architecture-specific types into the
standard, perhaps we should provide some of the implementation details about
what they mean.  We could do that by referencing other documents, but it seems
reasonable to include a table containing the number of bits for each field, and
a mention of any major peculiarities (e.g. skewed bias, inf/nan unsupported,
etc.).

--
Todd Allen
Concurrent Real-Time