[Dwarf-discuss] Seeking a test program with a >4GB .debug_info section

David Blaikie dblaikie@gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 01:54:48 GMT 2023

I /believe/ that Chromium (maybe specifically on ARM? not sure) may have
hit/had problems with the 4GB limit - probably trivially if you build with
clang but pass `-fstandalone-debug` which disables many type
reduction/deduplication strategies.

If you want something more standalone... this:

#define MEMBERS(BASE) \
  int BASE##0 (int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int,
int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int); \
  int BASE##1 (int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int,
int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int); \
  int BASE##2 (int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int,
int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int); \
  int BASE##3 (int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int,
int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int); \
  int BASE##4 (int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int,
int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int); \
  int BASE##5 (int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int,
int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int); \
  int BASE##6 (int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int,
int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int); \
  int BASE##7 (int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int,
int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int); \
  int BASE##8 (int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int,
int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int); \
  int BASE##9 (int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int,
int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int);
template<int ... i>
struct t1 {
  MEMBERS(f0)
  MEMBERS(f1)
  MEMBERS(f2)
  MEMBERS(f3)
  MEMBERS(f4)
  MEMBERS(f5)
  MEMBERS(f6)
  MEMBERS(f7)
  MEMBERS(f8)
  MEMBERS(f9)
};
#define ITER(A, B)    \
  template <int... i> \
  struct A {         \
    B<i..., 0> v0;   \
    B<i..., 1> v1;   \
    B<i..., 2> v2;   \
    B<i..., 3> v3;   \
    B<i..., 4> v4;   \
    B<i..., 5> v5;   \
    B<i..., 6> v6;   \
    B<i..., 7> v7;   \
    B<i..., 8> v8;   \
    B<i..., 9> v9;   \
  };
ITER(t2, t1);
ITER(t3, t2);
ITER(t4, t3);
ITER(t5, t4);
ITER(t6, t5);
ITER(t7, t6);
ITER(top, t7);
int main() {
  t6<> v;
}

Doesn't quite hit 4GB, it's about 1.2GB in .debug_info (& takes 2.5 minutes
to compile with clang) - 5 of these (could stamp them out by including this
file into a few other source files & just changing the `main` function to
some other name in each)

This specifically doesn't push the .debug_str section as hard - it's about
half the size of the .debug_info in this program.