[Dwarf-discuss] ISSUE: tensor types. V3

Ben Woodard woodard@redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 00:35:48 GMT 2023

On 4/24/23 13:17, Todd Allen via Dwarf-discuss wrote:
> On 4/24/23 13:27, Ben Woodard via Dwarf-discuss wrote:
>>> As for NEON vs. SVE, is there a need to differentiate them?  And can it
>>> not be done by shape of the type?
>> That one continues to be hard. ARM processors that support SVE also have
>> NEON registers which like the Intel SSE MMX AVX kind of vector registers
>> are architecturally specified as having a specific number of bits.
>> Handling those are trivial.
>>
>> The weird thing about SVE registers (and the same things also apply to
>> RVV) are that the number of bits is not architecturally defined and is
>> therefore unknown at compile time. The size of the registers can even
>> vary from hardware implementation to hardware implementation. So a
>> simple processor may only have a 128b wide SVE register while a monster
>> performance core may have 2048b wide SVE registers. The predicate
>> registers scale the same way. I that it can even vary from core to core
>> within a CPU sort of like intel's P-cores vs E-cores. To be able to even
>> know how much a loop is vectorized you need to read a core specific
>> register that specifies how wide the vector registers are on this
>> particular core. Things like induction variables are incremented by the
>> constant in that core specific register divided by size of the type
>> being acted upon. So some of the techniques used to select lanes in
>> DWARF don't quite work the same way.
>>
>> Just to make things even more difficult, when one of these registers are
>> spilled to memory like the stack the size is unknown at compile time and
>> so any subsequent spilling has to determine the size that it takes up.
>> So any subsequent offsets need to use DWARF expressions to that
>> reference the width of the vector.
>>
>> ...and then there is SME which is like SVE but they are matrices rather
>> than vectors. The mind boggles.
>>
> So the variability of the vector size is the only significant difference
> that you've identified?  If so, then I think the shape of the array type
> probably is sufficient.  For SVE, the DW_TAG_subrange_type will have a
> DW_AT_upper_bound which is a variable (reference or dwarf expr), or the
> DW_TAG_array_type's DW_AT_{byte,bit}_size will be a variable, or both.
> Meanwhile, NEON would use DW_AT_bit_size 128 (or DW_AT_byte_size 16) and
> a constant DW_AT_upper_bound (128/bitsizeof(elementtype)).  That seems
> like it very directly reflects the difference between the two vector types.

I went back and revisited the research that I did on behalf of customers
a few years back when customers first got access to SVE and started
debugging it. The state of the art has advanced since I did that work.

Back then we ran into problems because the only way to get the size of
the hardware vector was to read a core specific register. A big problem
was that if you were debugging something like a core file, you didn't
have access to the that core specific register. There was no way to
reference the core specific register from DWARF.

Furthermore while on the systems that I was looking at, all the cores
were the same, it was architecturally allowed to have different sizes of
the vector registers depending on which core that you were running on.

At the time, we realized that there needed to be some "magic" that
didn't exist at the time that provided the debugger with the width of
the vector. It was this complexity that really left me feeling that SVE
needed to be its own special thing.

At the time we discussed several options. One was pushing the size of
the vector into a normal variable so that it could be referenced by
DWARF; however we didn't know how to make that work because it could
change depending on which core the code was executing on. There was also
a kernel problem associated with that, the information about where the
process was executing needed to be included in the crash dumps. There
was also a feeling that there was something wrong with this approach
because the only reason for the variable to exist would be to support
debugging and keeping it up to date added overhead, and probably some
kernel support.

Another idea we kicked around was giving the core specific register a
name and number in the register file so that DWARF could access it. This
broke ABI. At that time, that option was immediately shot down.

I wasn't able to give the customers a good answer. I didn't know how to
solve the problem. Word evidently got back to ARM and they wrote:
https://github.com/ARM-software/abi-aa/blob/main/aadwarf64/aadwarf64.rst#dwarf-register-names
The big innovation that made this possible is ARM introduced a "pseudo
register" which they call VG that is specified to exist in the execution
environment. They even gave some examples how the DWARF should look for
these types
https://github.com/ARM-software/abi-aa/blob/main/aadwarf64/aadwarf64.rst#vector-types-beta

I haven't looked at the implementation of how GCC implements the VG
register yet. So I don't know how it handles some of the problems that
vexed us like making sure the VG exists in crash dumps and the ABI
implications of that, and how they ensure that VG is correct for the
core they are executing on when a process could move from one core to
another with different vector sizes. However, I'm going to look around
in gcc/config/aarch64/aarch64.cc and see if I can figure it out. The ARM
guys are great, but I wouldn't be surprised if I found some bugs there.

They also introduced a new wrinkle that I hadn't come across yet and
that was SME streaming mode and how that can change apparent size of the
vector register.

All of this leads me to the conclusion, that you are in fact correct, we
don't need a special flavor of tensors to handle SVE. The complexity
that I knew was under the surface which I felt would need some special
help with in DWARF, got handled in by pushing it into runtime
environment. (My customers have mostly moved away from ARM but should
they move back, my gut feeling is that part of the map should be labeled
"here be dragons" and I expect to be chasing some tricky bugs.)

-ben