[Dwarf-discuss] Wiki list of vendor extensions.

Lancelot SIX lsix@lancelotsix.com
Mon Mar 27 10:10:42 GMT 2023

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 25, 2023 at 11:24:41AM +0100, Mark Wielaard via Dwarf-discuss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 05:21:20PM -0700, David Anderson via Dwarf-discuss wrote:
> > On 3/24/23 13:56, Ben Woodard via Dwarf-discuss wrote:
> > >Tangential to Scott's request, one of the requests from the tool
> > >developer community that I work with is to add a new wiki article
> > >which lists all the vendor extensions for the various compilers.
> > >Obviously this would include but not be limited to the Vendor
> > >specific DWARF expression operations.
> >
> > The LLVM folks and myself have tried to make vendor extensions known.
> > At least the names.
> >
> > https://www.prevanders.net/dwarf.h
> >
> > is my attempt (flawed, no doubt).
> > It's not quite clear what you might mean to have in a wiki
> > article about each name.
>
> elfutils has a list of vendor extensions recognized (but not always
> handled): https://sourceware.org/elfutils/DwarfExtensions
>
> Maybe we can combine that information into a new wiki.dwarfstd.org
> article?

That would seem to be a good way forward in my opinion.  However, I find
there might still be a discoverability issue; i.e. How someone who
does not know about the wiki article or pages you listed above finds out
it exists?

Could the standard include a (non normative) mention that vendors are
encouraged to communicate their use of an opcode on the wiki (or other
form of registry)?  Any vendor is still free to use any user opcode to
its liking, but vendors who want to achieve interoperability and broad
tools support can 1) make sure they to not accidentally use opcodes
already used by others and 2) make their use of an opcode recognized in
the community.

The intend is not to have the standard dictate how user opcodes should
be used (that would defeat the point of having them), but merely
leverage the fact the DWARF standard the natural common entry point.

Best,
Lancelot.