[Dwarf-discuss] tag nesting question

Marcel Mettes marcelm
Thu Dec 21 11:07:57 GMT 2006

Hello,

I have been wondering about the rules of nesting tags within tags. I
have noticed that the dwarfdump tool reports constructs like:

   1. The GNU C++ compiler nests DW_TAG_subprogram inside
      DW_TAG_structure_type for class member functions.

   2. The TASKING compiler nests type TAGS like DW_TAG_base_type,
      DW_TAG_pointer_type, DW_TAG_union_type or DW_TAG_const_type within
      DW_TAG_structure_type when used by one of the struct's fields.

Since the dwarfdump tool check reports these, should I worry or are
these constructs well within the DWARF specification?

Have a good one,
Marcel Mettes.