[Dwarf-discuss] What values to use for our own attributes

Ron Brender ron.brender
Fri Mar 10 06:29:21 GMT 2006

Any value in a DWARF-defined "vendor-specific area" of a DWARF construct
is, by its nature, vendor-specific. Which is to say that to properly
interpret such a value the consumer must take into account the producer
identified in the unit header. Which is to say that there is no such
thing as a "conflict" for values in vendor-specific codes (unless the
producer is confused/inconsistent).

That said, since there is no published registry to identify producers it
often feels it would be nice if there were a registry of vendor-specific
codes that informal cooperation could exploit to minimize re-use of the
same codes, so that the identity of the producer could be ignored (at
least usually). So far there is no such registry.

Could/should there be? Good question. There seems to be enough critical
mass of DWARF committee participants these days + a formal framework
(FSO) that perhaps it would make sense to establish such a registry.
After the initial startup, I would expect on-going administration to be
relatively low effort.

Thoughts?

Ron