[Dwarf-Discuss] Dwarf-Discuss Digest, Vol 27, Issue 2

Jason Merrill jason@redhat.com
Sat Aug 29 13:19:27 GMT 2009

On 08/28/2009 06:29 PM, Dodji Seketeli wrote:
> Le 28/08/2009 23:47, Kendrick Wong a ?crit :
>> Should the name in DW_AT_instantiated_name be normalized?
>> i.e.  A<std :: vector>
>> There could be space characters in the within the name "std::vector", is
>> it necessary to enforce a 'no-space' rule in the name?
>
> Is there any reason why that attribute would not follow the same rules as
> DW_AT_name ?

Well, DW_AT_name is unqualified.  But I would expect a qualified
DW_AT_instantiated_name to look like a qualified name in .debug_pubnames.

>> As for the template parameter packs, I am in the opinion to leave it to
>> the producer to decide if they want to name the parameters within the
>> pack.  And consumer can add additional logic to handle the unnamed
>> parameters within the pack.
>
> What would be the rationale for a producer to not name the pack elements ?

Because the elements aren't individually named in the source?  If we
have a TAG for the pack itself, we don't need to name the elements.  And
doing it that way does seem cleaner than encoding this information into
DW_AT_name, which I don't think happens anywhere else in DWARF.

Jason