[Dwarf-Discuss] The difference between .eh_frame section and .debug_frame section

Mark Wielaard mjw@redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 09:43:32 GMT 2014

On Mon, 2014-11-10 at 16:55 +0800, 21310171 wrote:
> Complie a simple case ,  such as hello.c, with the "-g" parameter to compiler. And use readelf -S tools to analyze the sections of the  output elf file, we see .eh_frame and .debug_frame section.
> .eh_frame and .debug_frame both are something to do with frame stack. Use readelf -Wwf to analyse these two sections . What i find is that their format and contents are rather similar with each other.
> I refer to the dwarf debugging standards, only to see introduction to .debug_frame section, no descriptions about .eh_frame at all. Also, i tried to get information from web, but got little.
> Also, i found .eh_frame has allocte attribute, it will be loaded ?
> It will be so nice, if someone can tell me something about .eh_frame, better to introduce in comparison with .debug_frame section, Thank you guys!

DWARF only describes the .debug_frame format. The .eh_frame format is
based on that, but subtly different. The following describes
the .eh_frame (and .eh_frame_hdr) sections:
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/LSB_4.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/ehframechpt.html
It uses the following DWARF extensions:
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/LSB_4.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/dwarfext.html