[Dwarf-Discuss] Read an .axf file on windows with LibDwarf

Ane ane.echeverria@ikusi.com
Tue May 17 06:47:05 GMT 2016

DavidA <davea42 at ...> writes:

> On 05/16/2016 12:43 AM, Ane wrote:
> > 've seen a lot of webpages to have an idea of what the libdwarf
library
> > can do, but I can't find the way to compile it in windows. The
reason to
> > do this, is that I want to read and understand an .axf file in my C#
> > program that I'm developing in Visual Studio 10 in Windows (I can
use VS15
> > too). I don't need to debug anything, I only want read an .axf file,
so if
> > there is a way to do this, please I want to know it, and how to do
it.

> There is no simple way.  At least one organization has done so, but
> their code is not part of the distribution.
>
> I do not know the details of what that organization did.
> I have no idea what a .axf file is.
>
> struct Dwarf_Obj_Access_Methods_s (libdwarf.h)
> is probably involved.
>
> Sorry, I have no further information.
> David Anderson
>
> --
> From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie,
> surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and
> "Jeopardy" comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30. -- Roy Ashley

An .AXF file is an ARM eXecutable File which has an ELF/DWARF structure.
I've tried a few libraries (libdwarf, libelf, examples in VC for both of
them, libelfin in c++) and none of them can I compile correctly in
windows (it doesn't matter if there was in VS15 / VS10 / as a makefile
project with MinGW or normal project / just MinGW in command window ...
).

I've just finded another library in C# "ElfSharp" and it seems to be
good for reading my .axf file, but I'm looking for decode the DWARF
sections. If anyone could help me, I'm all ears.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Ane.