[Dwarf-Discuss] modeling different address spaces

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Mon Jul 20 13:48:43 GMT 2020

On 7/20/20 1:43 AM, Metzger, Markus T via Dwarf-Discuss wrote:

> I also have a small proposal for describing locations as function of the SIMD lane by
> adding a DW_OP_push_simd_lane operator and introducing stack variants for piece
> operators.
>
> I have a write-up ready but wanted to wait until we have a public implementation.
> Is that the right order?  Or would you rather want to review proposals right away.

I'm not sure what a SIMD lane is.  There are a number of architectures
which support SIMD, such as the AVX extension in x86.  We try to
describe functionality in generic terms as much as possible so that it
can be used with a variety of architectures.

We'd be happy to see your proposal.  Often an implementation is a good
proof of concept, but getting feedback on a design early in the process
can be a guide to that implementation and avoids changes later.

> We'd also want an unbounded piece operator to describe partially registerized
> unbounded arrays, but I have not worked that out in detail, yet, and we're a bit
> farther away from an implementation.

Can you describe this more?

--
Michael Eager